Examine core topics in international and regional security.
In this certificate program, students will be introduced to scholarly work on the sources of conflict, violence and security issues in the international arena, as well as literature on the resolution and mitigation of such conflicts. Students will apply theories and concepts of both interstate and intrastate conflict to important contemporary cases, and analyze the effectiveness of potential policy responses. This certificate program will prepare students for further graduate study in the fields of international relations, national security and international security, as well as related careers in the public and private sector. This certificate may be earned while completing the MA in international relations or as a stand-alone graduate certificate.
International and Regional Security
Upon completing this certificate program, students will be able to:
- Identify and analyze the sources of international and regional political conflict.
- Identify, design and apply potential policy solutions designed to resolve or mitigate real-world conflicts.
- Apply major theories of international security to analyze real-world regional and international conflicts.
Why Choose Webster University?
Webster Athens, part of Webster University's global network of international schools, brings the best of American education to Greece. Class sizes are small and our faculty bring real-life knowledge and personal attention to the classroom.
Webster's Graduate Certificate in International and Regional Security
Webster Athens brings the best of American education to Greece. We are the only fully
owned and controlled (academically and financially) accredited campus of a US university
Take your education abroad and participate in our challenging and in-demand programs built to provide the flexibility and convenience necessary to succeed in today's world.
Plus, our class sizes are small, so you’ll receive individual attention and mentorship from our faculty, who bring real-life knowledge to the classroom.
This certificate may be earned while completing the MA in International Relations or as a stand-alone graduate certificate.
The 12 credit hours required for the graduate certificate in international and regional security must include the following required course (3 hours) and three electives (9 hours):
- INTL 5590 International Security (3 hours)
Electives (9 credit hours)
Choose from the following courses:
- INTL 5550 War and Diplomacy (3 hours)
- INTL 5560 US Foreign Policy (3 hours)
or INTL 5570 Comparative Foreign Policy (3 hours)
- INTL 5535 International Disaster Law (3 hours)
- INTL 5585 Food and Water Security (3 hours)
- INTL 5595 Energy Security (3 hours)
- INTL 5600 Area Studies* (3 hours)
- INTL 5625 Middle East Area Studies* (3 hours)
- INTL 5635 Western European Area Studies* (3 hours)
- INTL 5645 Asian Area Studies* (3 hours)
- INTL 5655 African Area Studies* (3 hours)
- INTL 5665 South and Central Asia Area Studies* (3 hours)
- INTL 5675 Central and Eastern European Area Studies* (3 hours)
- INTL 5685 Latin American Area Studies* (3 hours)
- INTL 5860 Issues in International Politics (with security focus) (3 hours)
- INTL 5890 Terrorism in World Politics (3 hours)
*No more than two area studies classes can count toward the certificate.
You may also be interested in
Founded in 1915, Webster University is committed to ensuring high-quality learning experiences that transform students for global citizenship and individual excellence. In 2014, Webster Athens joined our network to bring the best of American education with the only fully owned and controlled (academically and financially) accredited campus of a U.S. university in Greece.
Highlights from the Athens Campus
International Tour Explores Expansion Opportunity, Finds Webster Thriving Globally
November 11, 2022
News Around Webster: Smith, Christeson, Indjikian, Cosic, Nomikos and 'Talk Globally' Podcast
November 3, 2022
News Around Webster: Higgins and Stavrou
July 12, 2022
Adjunct Professor Craig Kennedy Higgins was appointed as a circuit judge to the 22nd Judicial Circuit in St. Louis....